Sutherland Elementary School’s student body gathered to re-dedicate its revitalized Peace Garden on Sept. 21, International Peace Day. Students read poems promoting peace, and teacher John Wegman led a rendition of “Give Peace a Chance,” by John Lennon. Teachers Pam Civik, Meredith Weber, Mary Desmond and Jane Feurer helped create the garden in 2002, after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and Sutherland’s “Green Team,” which included Becca Blue, Kristin LoVerde and Catherine Mac, revamped the garden; it now includes white perennial blooms. Parents hosted a fundraiser at Wild Blossom Meadery and Winery in the spring to assist in the purchase of flowers. Teachers and students also worked on the redesign of the site. According to Principal Meg Burns, Sutherland plans to host an International Peace Day ceremony every year at the garden. (Review photos)
- Cupid’s arrow hits targets at County Fair
- Roche makes college choice for St. Thomas
- St. Rita football quintet signs letters
- Five champs lead Br. Rice to regional title
- Daniel ‘Duff’ Duffy, 65, father, friend, dancer
- Books to add more meaning to life of friend
- Keepsake gift brings past to life for man
- Illinois attorney general warns of phone, internet scams
- O’Shea testifies about CSX
- Cunningham now president pro tem of Illinois senate
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our news updates? Signup today!