Christine Mapondera Talley, author of “Makanaka’s World,” a picture book series that teaches culture, geography and language in a fun and engaging way, will be the guest author at the Beverly branch library, 1962 W. 95th St., on Wednesday, Oct. 23, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Talley was born in Chinhoyi, Zimbabwe, and she now resides in Chicago with her husband and two children. Growing up bilingual gave Talley a unique perspective to help children learn about the globe. Her daughter initially inspired Talley’s writing, as Talley wrote stories for her in Shona, her native language. The author is now driven to write books for children that elevate and celebrate the diversity of Africa and African lives. For more information about the event, call (312) 747-9673. For information about Talley, visit the website at christinemapondera.com.
- Local schools earn top CPS rating for quality
- Lausch helps power Br. Rice ground game
- Marist wins Super, eyes three-peat
- Christ the King drops Gold Ball title game
- O’Brien’s INT helps spark Mt. Carmel
- AndySunflower Cafe opens
- Officials close auto repair shop in Morgan Park
- Flood, USMC vet, mourned after tragic accident
- Buckeyes win Southside Catholic 7th-grade title
- Vietnam veterans honored during ceremony
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Would you like to receive our news updates? Signup today!